<span class="highlight">Tyre</span> <span class="highlight">pressures</span> on the GRR

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:19
ThreadID: 58969 Views:2726 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for rehashing the same old thing, but I would like an informed opinion specifically for my situation.

I will be on the Gibb River Road in July, and would like some advice on tyre pressures. I am running BFG All Terrains on my car and trailer (100 series cruiser and Tambo camper trailer - both loaded with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, and enough gear for our 3 month trip). What pressures do I need to run to minimise the risk of punctures and blowouts?

Many thanks,

Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:32

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:32
Hi Tony

The GRR offers no real surprises regarding road surface - a regularly graded wide road, occasional water crossings, occasional slippery conditions after rain (this often brings road closures). Grading can create sharp loose stones.

I drove it a couple of times in 2007 on skinny BFG ATs in pretty heavy troopy. No issues re tyres and no special attention to pressures.

Suggest just run them as you would normally for gravel road. In my case this meant about 28psi front, about 35psi rear.

Wonderful trip - take time to enjoy.

Envious,
Chris
AnswerID: 310914

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:01

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:01
I concur. 28-30 at front, 33-36 in the back. For heavy corrugations, back them off a fraction more but slow down as you'll generate more heat in the tyres (saves the shocks a bit as well doing it that way). Knock the Tambo tyres down to the same as the rear tyres or a bit less. Will help reduce bounce.

You shouldn't have any issues with the Gibb Tony, the only thing missing in some stretches of it was a lick of bitumen. It was that good. It's the sudden dips that are the main worry. The first 40km off the bitumen heading to Elquestro (driving west) is rough due to all the Elquestro traffic, a few corrugations around the Mount Barnett Road house and the track into Mitchell Falls can be a bit rough. You'll pull the Tambo in with ease.

Have a great trip. Leaving on Saturday myself. (PS the photo is taken dragging the Tambo into Mitchell Falls.Camp at the far end near the day park area as it's only 50 metres walk for water and a dip in the creek).

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 310915

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:30

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:30
I would concur with what has been written so far.
Perhaps could add:
* there can be long stretches of bulldust - particularly if you head up the Kulumburu road or to Mitchell Falls
* after rain you get mud - lots of vehicles slide off the road
* after the mud you get wheel ruts - you can come across them quite unexpectedly, and they can easily capture your front wheels and end up in rollovers.
AnswerID: 310919

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:21

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:21
I concur, all of the above is good advice.
AnswerID: 310925

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:58

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:58
Ditto - 28 front 32 rear and 30 on the trailer seem the round about figures - worked for our 3 vehicles in 06 - SA to the Kimberley and back on the Tanami - no flats. I still think there are two factors just as important though in the 'saving tyres' story - remain vigilant for the nastier stones and cruise at a moderate speed - the latter factor reduces heat and lessens impacts (as well as being a more enjoyable trip :-o).
AnswerID: 310934

Reply By: Ramb0 - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:45

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:45
Hi all,

Thanks heaps for all the replies, I really appreciate it. It will be our first time on the GRR, and we can't wait. It sure helps getting advice from those that have been there and done that.

Thanks again,

Tony
AnswerID: 310941

Reply By: Super (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 14:58

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 14:58
Hi there, after a puncture on the Cordillo Downs Road (2005) I was advised by the mechanic in Birdsville to run at 28 psi front and 30 psi rear on dirt. He offered to repair any punctures free of charge!! I have done so ever since and had no problems. Just completed a trip from Perth in April travelling the Great Central Road and the Meneenie Loop road (approx 1400 Km of dirt in varying conditions). The Docker river road was all that ExplorOz said it would be (bloody awful) and the first 50 Km of the Meneenie Loop was pretty rugged too but we had no problems at all using the pressures recommended above.
Regards,
Phil

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310969

Reply By: BT- Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 19:46

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 19:46
Gidday Tony,
all good info and agree with tyre pressures. We drove the GRR last July and it was a great trip. The only other consideration I have to offer is to beware of the oncoming traffic. Some folk don't let their tyres down and also travel at high speed (in excess of 100kmh). We had two occasions meeting oncoming traffic on bends where they drifted onto our side of the road literally forcing us to exit onto the shoulder. Personally we keep the speed to no more than 80 kmh (to suit conditions) and tyre pressures as mentioned in previous posts and so far never a flat. Have a great and safe trip.
BT
AnswerID: 311015

Sponsored Links